GNOME Zeitgeist is NOT a file manager

Disclaimer: Due to time constraints, I am not an active Zeitgeist developer right now. Seif Lotfy is the man.

Wikipedia has it wrong:

GNOME Zeitgeist is a file manager application for the GNOME desktop environment. Instead of providing direct access to the hierarchical file system like most file managers, GNOME Zeitgeist mainly classifies files according to metadata. This includes time and date of previous accesses, location of use (using GPS positioning), file type, tagging and more. In addition to local files, GNOME Zeitgeist also organizes web browsing history, email and other data sources.

What’s wrong? Zeitgeist is not a file manager. The GNOME Activity Journal can be used to replace a file manager and do file manager-like things, but Zeitgeist is more than that. Check the official Zeitgeist website for details.

If you are a Linux user, how do you use Zeitgeist?

1. Does it not manage files?

• Natan Yellin says:

I don’t use the GNOME Activity Journal to replace Nautilus. The Activity Journal is more of a mental-organizer for me.

But allow me to reiterate my original point: Zeitgeist can do file manager-like things, but Zeitgeist is more than that. How do you use Zeitgeist?

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Zuissi, Natan Yellin. Natan Yellin said: New blog post: GNOME Zeitgeist is NOT a file manager http://bit.ly/eQMG72 [...]

3. Anon says:

Well, it’s Wikipedia, you can edit it :)

4. José Luis Ricón says:

People think of Zeitgeist as its interfaces, and not the engine.
    Technically, It’ll be a event logger and relationship… thing.. It’s hard to put it in a clean and neat word as they did with file manager. Maybe replace “file manager” with “pimped out file manager on WP” :p

5. Kai Mast says:

Wasn’t the Gnome Activity Journal once called Zeitgeist??

6. Hub says:

Because addressing the issue on wikipedia is hard, I put it on the discussion page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Zeitgeist_%28file_manager%29

Enjoy !

7. Burke says:

>How do you use Zeitgeist?

Well, I don’t. I am still waiting on a Zeitgeist implementation in KDE. I hope to see Zeitgeist appearing in KDE very soon. How far are you concerning this?

8. Ben says:

Well after reading this site I was curious why I had only seen a zeitgeist icon which showed me a little history, and the overall history window….

So I checked up in Docky applets and helpers and found that I had only to go to settings and click the Helpers tab, and type z to filter out zeitgeist integration and journal.

Now I get the jump lists fine on all my apps. It’s very cool :D

9. Fil says:

I use zeitgeist like a search tool for files via GAJ. But as far as i know, GAJ is not an file manager and I really want to see it integrated in NAutilus or Nautilus Elementary, because finding files in chronological context is cool, but when you find them you want to copy/move/delete/open/rename/edit them without opening another application to see the files found in the first one just to be able to do something with them.

10. Todd says:

I use Zeitgeist via the AWN plugin “related items”. If you have focus to a perticular application and click the related items icon in the AWN dock, it’ll give you all the files that can be processed by the current app. Pretty cool I think.

11. Church MN says:

Thanks for your help with understanding the complexities of using Zeitgeist!